Of all the skincare brands I’ve tried, there are a few that really stand out for me, and you’ll recognize them because I mention them repeatedly on the blog. One such brand is Skin Actives (which I reviewed previously) and I’m a big fan of how their product ingredients and formulations are all backed by scientific studies and testing.
While the “all actives, no fillers” headline is a bit of an exaggeration (how else could I get your attention?) , it’s 100% true that you’ll find very few, if any, filler ingredients and each active is explained by the founder, Dr. Sivak, about what its purpose is. Certainly makes my job as a beauty blogger much easier!
Ever since I discovered them a year ago, I’ve had the chance to try out more of their products, some misses, but some were immediate hits. So today, I’d like to share with you my top 5 picks from their extensive range that I think are must-tries for anyone wanting to add some oomph to their skincare routine without breaking their bank.
- Every Lipid Serum (ELS) – Without a doubt my favorite product in the winter time when my skin gets dry and easily irritated. While this does feel oily and heavy initially, it nourishes and protects my skin like none other. Whenever my skin feels angry from Curology, I lather this on (and by lather I mean apply 1 pump) and my skin is happy again the next morning.
- Anti-Aging HydraMist* – This is such a fantastic makeup setter!! Dr. Sivak explains the science behind this, and I can vouch that it really does make your skin look better, even when applied on top of makeup. Plus it comes in a convenient spritz tube that makes it perfect for on the go. Sadly I don’t know where mine went, hence it’s not pictured here, but dammit I’ll find it if it’s the last thing I do.
- Key Ingredients
- neroli flower water, strontium chloride
- Cranberry Moisturizing Serum* – 99% of Skin Actives products are fragrance-free, which means the scents range from eh to did-Shelly-just-poop, but this serum is an exception. Made with real cranberry juice, it smells absolutely yummy and is a delightfully lightweight hydrating serum. The finish is a little sticky at first, but then dries to a natural (not matte…at least not for me) finish. It’s been a staple in my makeup bag for my past 2 trips!
- Collagen Serum – I said this smelled like Shelly’s butt in my previous review, and it does, but it also works well. It contains a smorgasbord of excellent antioxidants and I don’t find myself reaching for any other serums when I use this one. They also have a fragranced version* which is easier on the nose, but after using both I may actually prefer the original formula. Shelly’s butt – 1, fragrance – 0.
- Pore Refreshing Mask* – If you have combo/oily skin and enjoy a good peel-off mask, you’ll really like this. Again, full of great ingredients, but it does contain alcohol quite high up the list so keep that in mind. As for the results? My skin feels really clean and but not dry or tight, though there is a slight tingling sensation when first applied. Ignore the instructions and apply a thin layer, otherwise it’ll drip and take forever to dry.
Each of the bottles may be small, and not exactly luxurious looking, but it’s truly what’s inside each bottle/jar that counts. I’m a huge packaging snob and love me some good skintertainment, but I find myself continuously reaching for the above products, often times over the fancier bottles. Plus a little goes a long way – I still have my Every Lipid Serum from last year!
So if you want no-frills, good ingredients and a formula that is backed by science, I would highly recommend the above Skin Actives products. They also have moisturizers, though sadly my experience with both the anti-aging cream and antioxidant cream have been mediocre at best. But then again, YMMV when it comes to skincare, so your experience could be very different!
Overall my experience with Skin Actives have been positive, and I love that they’re always developing new formulas. They have a forum where you can provide product feedback and ask questions about the actives used. I really respect how transparent they are when it comes their products and ingredients.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this brand review, and let me know if you’ve ever tried their products before or which one of the above appeals to you most. If you’re interested, there’s a giveaway on my Instagram now where 3 winners will get their pick of the above 2 products to try!
And for my fellow GoT fans, OMGSEASON7!!!! *enters fangirl mode*