- What is it
- A tinted sunscreen that provides instant and visible correction for Asian sensitive skin, while protecting against UV rays and photopollution.
- Protection Factor
- SPF50+, PA++++/PPD33, Boots Star ★★★★, CW 381nm
- 7.5% Octinoxate, 6% Mexoryl XL, 2.48% Mexoryl SX, 2% Uvinul A Plus, 1.5% Tinosorb S, 2.5-6% Titanium Dioxide
- How I use it
- In the mornings as the final step of my skincare routine, on days where I’ll be going out but don’t feel like applying foundation. I apply a pea sized amount each time and layer until I’ve applied the correct amount. A cushion puff can really help with even application!
- Best suited for
- All skin types with lighter skin tones that want excellent UV protection with tone correction benefits. The single shade of tint may not work for darker skin tones. Anti-pollution features also make this great for city dwellers.
- Contains alcohol but is not drying at all. Otherwise fragrance and paraben free.
- A small plastic tube. Nothing special.
- Fragrance-free and I detect no noticeable scent.
- A light cream that spreads easily. Feels lighter than the La Roche Posay Anthelios Shaka Fluid. Doesn’t pill!
- Satin finish with noticeable glow under direct lighting. Initial white cast but for me it goes away after ~5 minutes. The tint evens out my skin tone but hyperpigmentation is still noticeable.
- Asia exclusive. $27 – $34/30ml on eBay, BeautyBoxKorea, Alaso, and MyHuo
Acid, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Butyrospermum Parkii Seedcake Extract / Shea Butter Seedcake Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Cetyl Alcohol, Ci 77491,ci 77492 / Iron Oxides, Disodium Edta, Glyceryl Stearate, Palmitic Acid, Peg-100 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Tocopherol, Tromethamine, Xanthan Gum
The most important thing in a sunscreen is its filters, and the La Roche Posay UVIdea XL Melted Cream features 6! 2 are exclusive to L’oreal, and 4 are next generation filters known for their stability.
Another key ingredient is DETOXYL, which protects the skin against city pollutants like nicotine, lead, chlorine and exhaust gas. It’s comprised of butylene glycol + shea seedcake extract.
Now you know the water proof La Roche Posay Anthelios XL/Shaka is my long time favorite outdoors sunscreen, and the brand has consistently ranked well in Dr. Chiu’s sunscreen tests.
However the Anthelios XL is a bit much for everyday use, but since I still want that super strong UVA protection, I decided to give the Uvidea XL Melt-in Tinted Cream a try.
I can see why: the tint is a great match for my light skin tone and it’s not too heavy nor too drying. Just the perfect amount of coverage and natural satin finish that’s not overly shiny or greasy. It plays well with all my moisturizers and other makeup, no pilling issues at all.
If I had to pick flaws, it would be the single shade (understandable as this is exclusive to East Asian countries), the difficulty in purchasing, and that it’s not water resistant. Avoid using a heavy mist afterwards or you might start seeing streaks!
But none of those are deal breakers, and for me the excellent protection is worth it all. Let’s hope La Roche Posay makes this one available worldwide soon!
La Roche-Posay UVIdea XL Melt In Tinted Cream
A gem of a sunscreen that's worth the effort to source if you have a light skin tone and are looking for a true sunscreen + base product in one kind of product. The excellent protection is more than enough for everyday wear and your skin will look great too! If you're ever in Asia I highly recommend picking this up!