Mineral sunscreens are typically heavier and thicker than their chemical counterparts, so if you have oily skin or live somewhere humid you’re probably not a fan of mineral sunscreen. But this reformulated Klairs Mid Day Blue UV Shield SPF50+ PA++++ might change your mind.
- What is it
- This physical sunscreen is hydrating, lightweight, non-irritant, and gentle for any skin type, even sensitive skin. By containing guaiazulene it also helps calm the skin. It has a natural tone-up effect after application with a semi-matte finish.
- How I use it
- Last step of my morning routine, after 2 layers of oil and moisturizer, I’ll apply a pea sized amount in 3-4 layers.
- Best suited for
- Oily skin types, maybe combo skin, or if you live in a super humid climate. Drier skin types will need a LOT of moisture underneath to make this work.
- Water, Cyclohexasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Dibutyl Adipate, Propanediol, Caprylyl Methicone, 1,2-Hexanediol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Betaine, Magnesium Sulfate, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Inositol, Aluminum Hydroxide, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Pentylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Octyldodecanol, Guaiazulene, Echium Plantagineum Seed Oil, Cardiospermum Halicacabum Flower/Leaf/Vine Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil Unsaponifiables, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Tocopherol, Fragrance
full ingredient analysis
- Alcohol-free but does contain a tiny amount of fragrance. Also contains silicones, which isn’t an irritant by any means but I know some people don’t like it.
- A blue plastic tube with silver lid. Nothing fancy.
- There’s a hint of something, I can’t quite describe the it but it’s not a bad or strong smell and it does go away after a while.
- A light cream that’s easy to spread and feels like nothing at all on the skin. Despite containing silicones, this doesn’t pill.
- Velvet matte, with a noticeable initial white cast. It mostly goes away on my light skin tone, and @Jaeyneee has a demo of how it works well on her darker skin too!
- Available For
- $23/80ml on Wishtrend, YesStyle, and eBay
Let’s talk about the positives first. The UV protection is also great, especially the PA++++ which is the highest UVA protection you can find in Asian sunscreens. I would like to see the filter % to confirm the zinc oxide %, but as an everyday sunscreen, it should suffice.
Now the initial finish is beautiful, but as the day goes on I’d notice how dry my skin felt. It’s as if the sunscreen was literally drying out my skin, and I’m honestly baffled Klairs would even claim this was hydrating when it was doing the exact opposite!
It took a bit of experimenting to figure out how to get this sunscreen working for my dry skin – an intense oil sandwich:
- A layer Caudalie Grape Water followed by a full dropper of Good Molecules Squalane Oil*
- Another layer of the Caudalie Grape Water followed by my morning moisturizer, currently the Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream*
- A third layer of the Caudalie Grape Water with another dropper of the GM Squalane Oil
- A final layer of the Caudalie Grape Water with the YTTP Cream.
Told you it was insane, but this was how much buffering my skin needed to not get sucked dry by the Klairs Mid Day UV Cream. ???? On the other hand, if you have oily skin and find yourself powdering down every hour to keep the oil away, this might be the skin saver you’re looking for!
Mid Day Blue UV Shield vs other sunscreens
Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence SPF50 PA++++
If you have dry, normal, or even combo skin, definitely go with this instead! It has a light almost watery cream texture that feels just as comfortable on the skin, and that comfort lasts all day. The finish is a bit dewy but definitely not oily, plus features fantastic UV filters Uvinul A Plus and Uvinul T!
PURITO Centella Green Level Unscented Sun SPF50 PA++++
For a gentle, fragrance free everyday sunscreen, this is my top pick. It’s a tiny bit creamier than the Soft Airy UV Essence but still lightweight and comfortable on the skin. Finish is similar to the Klairs, and it also uses the same UV filters.
Peter Thomas Roth Max Mineral SPF45
This is still my preferred mineral sunscreen. It’s tinted to avoid any white cast, has a high % of zinc oxide for UVA + UVB protection, and it doesn’t suck my skin dry!
Hard pass if you have dry or even normal skin unless you want to layer on oils and creams like crazy in the mornings. But for those who are constantly oily (whether that's due to skin type or environment), you will appreciate this elegant everyday sunscreen that truly keeps your skin matte all day!
Ooh thank you for sharing your review with us! I have super dry skin so I don’t think this would work for my skin. It’s so strange how SPF can change our skintone, I have the same thing happening with a mineral sunscreen I’ve been trying. I’m yet to try Klairs, but I’m always placing Yes Style orders, so I’ll have to order something of theirs in my next skincare splurge xo
What a huge shame, Jenny and thankfully I didn’t experience dryness. I do like this sunscreen however I much prefer the original.
Okay I need this in my life!
Lisa | lisaautumn.com
I repurchased the Soft Airy UV Essence recently, and I am happy I did stick to that plan and didn´t get side tracked by the ads for this one then. My skin is combo, but with Tretinoin use I could not deal with a cream drying it out even more.
Anne from Doctor Anne
It sounds like a great sunscreen!