The perfect swimsuit for your body type
One of my favorite things about summer: the beach. Though I’m not a fan of tanning, I do enjoy the sand, the ocean, and just the relaxing feeling of getting away :) Of course, a beach trip isn’t complete without the perfect swimsuit, and even before writing this post one of my favorite places to shop for bikinis was Old Navy – I probably own at least 5 from there. They always have such great variety and the prices are very affordable, so you’re sure to find something to suit your body type.
The curvy gal
Depending on how curvy you are and where your curves are, you want to select the right pieces to accentuate your assets (no pun intended) or hide your flaws:
- A one-piece or tankini is great for hiding a tummy, or if you’re not comfortable bearing your stomach.
- If you find your hips too large but still want a bikini, you can try a hipster bottom, which offers more coverage for your tushy and hips :)
- Curvy gals have a lot more freedom when it comes to tops. You can wear a bandeau top without having to worry about any curves disappearing.
- Stay away from flimsy string tops if you’re top-heavy – those might not offer enough support for your chest area.
The athletic gal
These girls have the opposite body type of the curvy girls: their body tends to be more lean and lack obvious curves. This can be a blessing or a curse, but nothing a good swimsuit can’t solve ;)
- You don’t need to worry about hiding anything, so you can get away with almost any bottom.
- If you want your hips, wear bottoms with side accents – bows, rings, etc which will widen the hip area.
- Stay away from bandeau tops or else you’ll risk flattening your chest. Halter tops are the way to go.
- Tops with ruffles can help make your chest appear fuller, creating curves on your body.
My personal favorites
I definitely have the more athletic build, so I always stick to halter tops. It might sound limited, but they come in so many colors and styles, so there’s more than enough to choose from. I’ve bought a lot of ruffled halters lately, since I find those to be the most flattering on me. Bright colors are also a must for the summer time, but I also like white and black.
The last time I was at Old Navy they ran out of my size in the styles I liked. I’ll probably go check it out again soon to see if there’s new stock – I’m totally oogling over the colorful halter bikini set *_*
Hope you found this post helpful, and I’d love to hear where you shop for swimsuits and what your favorite pieces are~ Until next time!