Remember when I shared some of the great DIY ideas I found on Pinterest? Well I finally got the time to try out refinishing furniture, and thankfully, with no sanding involved :) I chose the ugly shelf in my room as my guinea pig.
Since I’ve never painted furniture before, I just bought the same primer and paint as Emily did:
- Zinsser Cover Stain Primer – 1 quart
- Berh custom match paint (i just grabbed a sample swatch I liked from Home Depot) in Semi-Gloss finish – 1 quart
Unfortunately I didn’t read through Emily’s entire post, and I ended up painting with paint brushes, which makes sense, right? WRONG. Either I got some bad brushes or I have no skills (t’s most likely a combination of the two), but I ended up with some pretty bad stroke marks as a result. On top of that, the first paint I got (Berh Iced Espresso, more like Iced Chocolate Milk) was way too light. But despite all these trials and errors, I somehow still managed to finish the shelf:
- You can kind of see the brush strokes on the drawer, but since I switched to a roller halfway through, I was able to somewhat cover the strokes on the sides and the top.
- The door is gone, simply because I’m too lazy to screw it back in :P
- The semi-gloss finish turned out to be way too shiny for me – I wish I had gone with a satin or eggshell finish instead :(
- Rollers are so much easier, and don’t leave ugly strokes
- Paint turns out lighter than it looks in the samples, try to go a couple shades darker
- Glossy finishes tend to enhance flaws – avoid if you’re a n00b
I’m not sure what my next major project will be, but hopefully it’ll turn out better than Project Zero did D: Have you guys ever refinished furniture before? I’d love to hear your experiences and/or tips!