Natural everyday look with Althea’s new affordable makeup line
I was already impressed with Althea’s $4 superior-to-Laura-Mercier powder, so when they sent me their new eyeshadow, liquid eye glitter, concealer, and lip stains, I had high expectations.
For those not familiar with Althea, they’re one of my go-to Korean beauty retailers for their fast+free shipping, great prices, fabulous deals, and mix of popular + up-and-coming brands, including their own in-house brand. In case you’re curious:
- A first look at Althea Korea, my new k-beauty destination
- A $4 Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder dupe? The Althea Petal Velvet Powder review
- New cleanser on the block: Althea Real Fresh Skin Detoxer review
- Althea Petal Velvet Sunaway SPF50 PA++++ review
But enough about the old, let’s talk about the new and exciting stuff!
BCL X Althea Sunrise & Moonrise Eye Palette
- What is it
- An eyeshadow palette meant to take your looks from day to night (hence sunrise & moonrise…get it?)
- Not available in the US, but ₱1,780 here, S$46 here, and Rp490,000 here
For those of you not in the Philippines, Singapore, or Indonesia, don’t worry, you’re not missing out. This palette looks beautiful but several shades suffer from poor color payoff:
- The rose gold and gold glittery shades and that bottom left brown require a lot of layers to buildup color.
- The light beige in the top second left make a nice base, but if you’re darker than a NC15, it won’t show
The fuchsia is true to the color while the purple actually swatches more like a dark mulberry, but at least both have good color payoff. The only shade I really like and find wearable on a regular basis is the top left champagne shade. It makes a beautiful highlighter for your inner corners, nose, brow bone, and aegyo sal (that pudge under your eyes)!
Verdict: Hard pass, there are much better palettes out there.
Althea Spotlight Eye Glitter
- What is it
- Gold (the white one) and pink-silver hued liquid eye glitters with a hydrating formula that can work as standalone eyeshadow or as eye liner
- $5.50 for 4.5ml (get 20% off your first order with code A10A-QH4GL98X1MP6)
If you follow me on Instagram you’ll know I adore the Marc Jacob See-quins Glam Glitter Eyeshadow, which adds serious bling to the eyes, but can be a bit too much for daytime looks. On the other hand, the Althea Spotlight Eye Glitter adds just the perfect amount of extra shimmer to the lids that lasts all day.
I thought the brush was awkward at first, but it’s actually great for applying just the right amount on the lids. I then dab to blend out to a beautiful wash of super-fine glitter, which I absolutely love and have been rocking for all my day looks! Removing them is easy, any decent makeup remover will get the job done.
Verdict: If you want low-key glittery lids but find most eye glitter too chunky, these are a must try!
Althea Flawless Creamy Concealer
- What is it
- A long-wearing and medium-coverage concealer with Aquaxyl to moisturize the skin while covering your blemishes.
- $4 for 6g
As with 99% of Asian base products, the shade range is abysmal, but at least Althea tried (using that term loosely here) with 4 shades. For my NC15 skintone, #2 Ginger was a good fit and offered medium and buildable coverage. But the good stuff ends here.
The formula is worse than the shade range: thick, drying, and instantly aged me 10 years. I’ve never had such an awful experience with concealers that I thought my first try was a fluke, but nope, it’s really just that bad. May I recommend the Klairs Creamy & Natural Fit Concealer (reviewed here, only one shade but lovely formula) or the First Aid Beauty Bendy Avocado Concealer* (my current favorite) instead?
Verdict: Save that $4 for something else, anything else but this abomination of a concealer.
Althea Watercolor Cream Tint
- What is it
- Highly pigmented lip stain with a high gloss finish that drys down to a beautiful stain. Also contains hyaluronic acid and squalane to keep the lips moisturized for super comfortable wear.
- $5 for 4.5ml or $18 for all 4 (get 20% off your first order with code A10A-QH4GL98X1MP6)
Guys these were love at first use. The creamy formula is a close dupe to the YSL Vinyl Cream Lip Stains and the Lancome L’absolu Lacquers – really comfortable on the lips and gives a gloss-like finish without the stickiness. Of course the initial shine and some of the color will come off as you eat and drink, but the pigmented stain lasts pretty much all day.
My only gripe is the limited shade selection because I can’t get enough of this lip stain! My favorite is #4 Marron Cream which is a brownish pink, perfect for everyday looks, but with this gorgeous formula, you can’t go wrong with any of these colors.
Also they smell like those little Korean yogurt drinks. YUM.
Verdict: This is all I’ve been wearing since I got them. What do you think?
Everyday makeup look with Althea
Disclaimer: I’m pretty bad with makeup. As in I really don’t know how to play with different colors and I feel like all my “looks” ends up looking the same. But if you’re looking for something natural and good for everyday wear, maybe you’ll find this helpful.
Eyes: Beige base with glittery rose gold over top and around the outer corner, Althea Spotlight Eye Glitter in gold in the middle, and the champagne shade on my aegyo sal and nose bridge. Also used the Kiss Me Heroine eyeliner, Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Mascara (2017 favorite and current hg), and Hourglass Arch Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel* (reviewed here)
Face: First Aid Beauty Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer*, Suqqu Nude Wear Liquid Foundation in 002, First Aid Beauty Bendy Avocado Concealer in Fair, Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Paaarty, Canmake Mat Fleur Shading in 02 for contouring
Lips: Althea Watercolor Cream Tint in #4 Marron Cream
Did any of these makeup pieces catch your eye? Thank you for reading and I hope you have a lovely weekend!