I’m finally done with exams! You have no idea how absolutely relieved I am to be free of the burden, and it sucks even more because UMD is one of the last schools to get out. Nonetheless, it’s all over now, and I can peacefully enjoy the rest of my summer and fully look forward to going back to Taiwan!
To keep myself on top of things, I’m going to make a list of things to do/get when I go back. I only have 19 days and many of them are booked for family friends and relative dining + sight-seeing. Not that I’m complaining, but it’d be great if I could get time off to do my own things.
- Take glamor shots. For anyone who’s been back there, you should know how famous the glamor/wedding shots are in Taiwan. This is a top priority because I want to get my photos before I leave.
- Get a haircut. Maybe if the stylist recommends it, I might get it permed or straightened as well. People can’t cut hair if their lives depended on it here, so I’m growing my hair out all nice and long just so the stylists in Taiwan will have something to work with.
- Buy clothes. Not the fobby clothes with random English words smacked all over them, but some really cute outfits. Clothes here are either boring or expensive.
- Buy beauty products. That includes make up, skin care products, hair products, body products, you name it. It’s inexpensive, and most of them are formulated for Asian girls. Oh and the packaging always looks nice :)
- Buy cute stationary. This one is a given. It’s a ritual for me every time I go back to Taiwan, and it’s not going to change. I’ll probably buy some notebooks, pens, more notebooks, a planner, more pens, and whatever else catches my fancy.
- Buy bootleg DVDs. Another given. I’m going to buy so many dvds that I’m starting to worry if the customs are going to confiscate them thinking I’m trying to resell them in the US. So if I can only get one, then Huan Zhu Ge Ge (Princess of the Returning Pearl) 1 + 2 is a must.
- Buy books. More like buy magazines and manga. I’m not into manga as much as I used to be, but there are 2 series I still like: Gals and Crayon Shin-chan, both of which I’ll try to get (maybe just a couple volumes for the latter since it has a total of what, 50+ volumes?)
- Get a new phone. This one is mostly wishful thinking, but just in case the opportunity arises, I don’t want to miss it. Again, phones in the US look like poo and are usually locked. Sometimes I ask myself why I even bother buying things here.
- Eat LOTS of yummy food. Self explanatory.
- Go to amusement parks and beaches. I felt like I need to do myself some justice by making up for the lack of times I went when I actually lived there. :/
- Hang out with old friends. Might be a little difficult because 1) summer break hasn’t started for them yet 2) I lost contact with most of them 3) I don’t know which schools they attend. Maybe I’ll get lucky? Who knows.
I will add more as I think of them. Meanwhile, does anyone want me to bring anything back from Taiwan? Something small of course, since I’m not loaded :( Shoot me an email if you’d like a small souvenir!