When you’re staring in the mirror looking at your makeup-free face are you happy with what you see? Is your skin smooth, soft, glowing, and blemish-free? Or are you dealing with a myriad of issues like pimples, acne scars, discoloration, wrinkles, and other skin imperfections? If you’re dealing with imperfect skin and want to make a change, the answer isn’t covering it up with the best skincare and beauty products on the market. The solution is actually something you may not have given much thought to.
You Are What You Eat
Everyone knows that the foods you eat can come back to haunt you later. Eating too many processed, greasy, or sugary foods can lead to weight gain and a multitude of health problems. However, were you aware that what you eat can also show up in your skin? Consuming too much of the wrong thing can lead to greasy or dry skin as well as breakouts and rashes.
If you want to improve how your skin looks, you’re going to have to watch what you eat. Eating more of the things that are good for your body can help you to look years younger. Which foods lead to the fountain of youth? Here are some to consider trying:
- Salmon – This super food is packed with nutrients and vitamins you need for better skin. Filled with fatty acids and antioxidants, salmon helps the body to produce fatty acids which help to build stronger skin cells. Your skin’s barrier is then able to do a better job at locking in the moisture and keeping out the irritants. Salmon pairs well with or quinoa which is a great source of fiber and protein as well. You can read more about quinoa nutrition and find recipes online.
- Watermelon – Watermelon has characteristics that help defy aging and puffy eyes. The fruit is very low in sugar and high in moisture which is great for the skin. Its water content helps to reduce puffiness around the eyes while it’s low sugar levels keep collagen development intact to keep wrinkles and fine lines at bay.
- Avocado – Whether you like it as a dip, in a salad, or on top of your sandwich, avocado is a superfood you don’t want to leave out of your weekly diet. One of the most popular choices for face masks, avocados are able to deeply penetrate the skin’s cells and infuse the body with vitamin A, D, and E. Avocado is also high in good fats other nutrients to help rejuvenate the skin.
- Walnuts – A handful of nuts has always been thought of to be a great way to boost your protein intake. They also make a delicious snack in between meals. However, walnuts, in particular, are worth indulging in. They are high in omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are needed for the body to generate more collagen which helps to improve your skin’s elasticity and reduce sagging or signs of aging.
- Dark Chocolate – Okay ladies, here’s a delicious food choice you’ll have no problems with incorporating into your skincare diet. Dark chocolate is actually very beneficial for the skin. Packed with flavonoids and properties to firm the skin, having a piece of dark chocolate with high cocoa content and low sugar content will put a smile on your face and a glow in your skin.
Your skin is the body’s biggest organ and often the first indicator that something is going wrong on the inside. If you look in the mirror makeup free and don’t like what you see, perhaps it could have something to do with your diet. Get rid of culprits like sugar, salt, and fat and replace them with these food choices listed above. That and your normal skincare routine and you should start to see flawless results in no time.