Our ocean is teeming with mesmerizing marine life. The underwater world is filled with a dazzling array of life, color, and beauty.
More than a million species thrive in underwater, and you can find both large and small creatures deep within the ocean.
However, capturing the beautiful underwater scenery can be challenging.
In this post, you will learn about some professional tips for capturing high-quality photos while scuba diving.
1. Capture in Calm and Clear Water
Clarity is important if you want to capture good quality pictures while scuba diving. Underwater photography is done best during high tides.
You should also capture photos deep in the water. Areas near the coastline are not ideal for photography since these places are full of sand and sediment.
2. Capture with Natural Light
You need lots of natural light to capture clear photos underwater. That’s why the best time for taking these photos is between 9am and 3pm. The photographs taken during this time will appear the best.
Unless you are using a strobe, you should stick to shallow waters. This is because the sunlight cannot penetrate in deep waters. In shallower waters, the image will be vibrant and clear.
3. Buy the Right Camera
You need to buy the right camera to capture photos underwater.
Make sure you buy a camera that is waterproof and shockproof. Good cameras for underwater photography include the Sony RX100 VI and GoPro HERO5. These cameras are completely waterproof, allowing you to capture stunning photos of underwater life.
You can also capture stunning photos using your iPhone. However, you need to buy a waterproof iPhone X case first.
While Apple claims that its phones are waterproof, they are not completely safe from water damage. The phones have an IP67 rating. This means you can use the phones at a depth of up to 1 meter for 30 minutes. To take photos underwater for longer periods, you need to purchase a waterproof iPhone X case.
In addition, you should ensure that the camera has an image stabilization feature. You will move a lot underwater. A camera with an image stabilization feature will reduce blur. Again, the iPhone will serve you best since its model 7 and up have optical image stabilization feature.
4. Know the Right Settings
You should know the right camera settings for capturing perfect photos below water. Here are the recommended settings for capturing clear underwater images with your camera or iPhone.
- Aperture — The aperture setting should be between f/8 to f/16. This will allow you to capture sharp and clear images underwater. For split-level landscapes, you should keep the aperture setting to f/16. If you want to create a blurred effect in your photos, you can set aperture setting between F/2.8 to f/6.
- ISO — You should keep the ISO low to capture clear pictures. Try to keep the ISO setting to 100 for the best results. You should increase the ISO if it’s cloudy or dark below water. The higher you set the ISO, the more will be the noise in the image.
- White Balance — Daylight mode is the best for underwater photography. This will result in an accurate color representation of blue color. Using other modes can result in pictures with pinkish or orange hues.
5. Use Flash
Remember that water absorbs colors. So you should turn on the flash when capturing photos underwater. Some divers use a strobe when capturing photos underwater. Your photos will appear blue if you don’t use a strobe or flash.
6. Shoot within a Meter of the Object
Another important thing to remember is that water will reduce the sharpness, color, and contrast of a picture. That’s why you should take underwater photos within a meter of the object.
Unless you have a high-quality camera, landscape photos won’t appear best below water.
Following the above tips can help you in capturing sharp, clear images underwater. Once you come home after shooting the entire day underwater, you should use a good image editing software to correct any flaws.
Use a good image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop to correct color, add filters, and remove any other flaws. The post processing of images can significantly enhance the images taken underground. What’s more, you can use your artistic flair to make the pictures look like work of art.