Your hair is your crowning glory, which is why you don’t mind spending time and effort to make it look good. You would usually invest in different tools and equipment as part of your hair treatment—and for sure, a hair dryer is one of them. With a hair dryer, you’ll be able to add volume to your hair within minutes. But with the number of hair dryers in the market today, are you truly aware of what the product can and can’t do? Do you know what features to look for when you’re about to buy one?
Because more and more people rely on a hair dryer for style and convenience, several brands have offered this product in the market. This variety allows you to enjoy a hair dryer regardless of your hair type, styling preferences, and budget. Before heading out to purchase a hair dryer, take note of the following points first:
1. Determine your hair type.
A hair dryer usually has one basic purpose: to dry your hair. Regardless of the size and design of the hair dryer you’ll end up buying, expect that it can provide this feature. But for you to actually buy the perfect hair dryer, you need to determine your hair type first. Some hair dryers work best with thin and soft hair while others, with dense, frizzy and thick hair.
2. Choose a hair dryer suitable for your hair type.
Once you’ve determined what your hair type is, it’s now easier to narrow down your search. You can start looking for a hair dryer suitable for your hair type and cross out those that don’t. To give you a better idea on what to look for in a hair dryer for your hair type, pay attention to these points:
- Ceramic or porcelain hair dryer for thin and dry hair: These types of hair dryers produce minimal heat, which reduces the chances of hair damage. These hair dryers also use negative ions for you to get rid of frizz and tangles.
- Ionic or tourmaline hair dryer for curly and thick hair: If you’re worried that your curly and thick hair can’t be managed, look for an ionic or tourmaline hair dryer. Since tourmaline is a semi-precious metal, this hair dryer can give you all the ionic action and power that you need for you to successfully style your curly and thick locks.
- Titanium hair dryer for voluminous hair: Having voluminous hair is already a blessing but if you want to take your look up a notch, buy a titanium hair dryer. This hair dryer can provide steady temperature and excellent heating settings. It can produce high heat, reducing the time needed to blow dry your hair.
3. Check the power of the hair dryer.
The power consumption of the hair dryer is essential, especially if you’re frequently using this tool. A general rule of thumb to follow is to buy a hair dryer that has at least 1,500 watts. If you’re going to use the hair dryer for curly and thick hair, look for a hair dryer that has around 1,800 to 1,900 watts of power. Aside from the functionality and effectiveness of the hair dryer, its power should also be considered because a low power tool can require more time and energy from you. A hair dryer that has too much power can also take away moisture and even damage your hair and scalp.
4. Assess the weight and quality.
Always buy a hair dryer that isn’t too heavy for your arms, lest you’ll end up straining or hurting yourself when using your hair dryer. Depending on your lifestyle, you can choose to buy a hair dryer that is compact and lightweight. These features will make it easier for you to bring your hair dryer wherever. If you’re planning to buy a hair dryer online, make sure that you read the specifications carefully to determine its weight.
Although it can be tempting to buy a cheap hair dryer, don’t do it. A low-priced hair dryer—one that’s too good to be true—will usually work for a short time only. You’ll end up buying more hair dryers than expected, resulting in more costs (and stress).
5. Check for hair dryer reviews.
If you’re buying a hair dryer for the first time, check for hair dryer reviews before deciding which one to buy. This information can give you an idea of the reputable brands in the market and whether or not users were satisfied with the hair dryer’s performance.
Price will always be an important deciding factor when you’re buying a product from the market. As a customer, you want your hard-earned money to be spent in something that’s useful and worthy. When buying a hair dryer, make sure that you’re not only thinking about the price because, more often than not, a cheap hair dryer can mean using substandard and harmful materials. Make sure that you only entrust your hair to reputable brands and products in the market.