Happy New Year lovelies! 2016 has been a huge learning year for me, especially in terms of skincare, so without further ado, here the top 10 skincare tips I learned this past year:
- Hydration is super important. Dullness, fine lines, even lack of firmness – you can improve all these skin issues by making sure your skin is well hydrated. This goes for all skin types – even oily skin folks!
- Drink plenty of water. It’s important to hydrate our skin from within, so make sure you drink enough water – about 2000 cc or 8 glasses a day. I find keeping a large water bottle with me at all times helps me drink the required amount.
- Cotton pads are awesome. They provide gentle exfoliation when using them to apply toner, plus you can use them for lotion masking. And they’re super inexpensive!
- All skin types can benefit from the right type of facial oil. Many blends are formulated to be lightweight and fast-absorbing, plus there are a ton of different ways you can apply them!
- Less is more. Though I love the idea of a complex skincare routine, I find that my skin just reacts better when I use less products. They absorb better, and I’m less likely to breakout. YMMV.
- Mandelic acid is my favorite chemical exfoliant. Ever. It’s much gentler than other AHA’s, plus it’s oil soluble like a BHA, meaning it can really clear out the gunk in your pores. Win!
- Don’t dry your face after washing it. I used to pat my skin dry immediately after washing, but recently I’ve been leaving it damp and immediately applying my facial oil, and it feels incredible! The key here is that like a sponge, our skin absorbs ingredients better when it’s damp.
- Inexpensive sheet masks are awesome for helping your skin absorb ingredients. Sheet masks are great for hydrating and brightening on their own, but I love using them after my serum step to really lock all the nutrients in and help with absorption. Pick hydrating ones with no irritating ingredients so you can use them every day!
- Apply products only where you need them. I have combination skin and with dry cheeks and a breakout-prone forehead, so I’ll apply a tea tree serum only on my forehead and a richer cream only on my cheeks.
- Calming products are a must in my routine. Whether it’s a mask, a toner, or a cream, soothing ingredients are a must. They minimize any chances of my skin breaking out or becoming irritated, plus they can strengthen my skin’s natural barrier.
Some of these tips I’ve already discussed in depth in previous posts, but if you want me to expand on any of the other tips, let me know. For regular skincare tips, make sure you follow me on Instagram and Twitter! The annual printables roundup and my 2016 beauty favorites will be coming soon, so stay tuned!